Skip to main content

Friends. Strangers. Alcoholics.

Travelling for a few weeks, it made perfect sense to have someone house sit. How it turned out, has forced me to define the words in my title.  

Friend - someone with whom you share values, conversations and similar interests

Stranger - someone who was a friend at point in your life. And with whom you now have nothing in common

Alcoholic - one who comes in as a friend, whom you discover has become a stranger and is now an alcoholic

One to whom you entrusted your home and who has invaded every part of this home searching for alcohol. One who has gone through treasured home made gin that was left to mature. One who has slept through the day with no connection with Kimble. The one creature you were so sure he would find time for. 

One who has left you feeling a loss of space in your own home. And grappling with the thought of people whose addictions have made them beings you no longer recognise. 

And where you are re learning deep breathing as you walk about your home and see how each corner has been turned over. In search of a high. 

(Couldn’t really bring myself to share a photograph of the pile of empty bottles. So, a no photo post):

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almost a year

There is this strong independent woman inside me, who sometimes feels it to be unreal. I have a full life, contributing to the society, doing my own bit. Can drive, cook, do basic first aid, can manage finances (reasonably well)...how is it that with all these positives, the only thought that is always always overriding all this is how much I miss the man.  The other half, the one with whom my thoughts and sentences were complete. Who made me laugh, who understood and noticed small details that would fool everyone else.    The man did love the winter light     Jotting down a list of things (in no particular order), that I miss about him - His hands - the man had the most beautiful hands that I have seen till date. Long artistic fingers that bore truth to his love for working with them - be it the sourdoughs that he learnt via YouTube or his leather work or the ferments or the photography or the hand-crafted diaries or his cooking. - That broken tooth in the fron...

Grieving and healing

This last month has been strange in so many ways. Beginning of the year should mean new beginnings, but the mind shrunk away from that thought. How can it be only 1 year since I lost the man? Has it been just 380 days since the man is no longer a physical part of my everyday life? Seems longer...so much longer...  So what has really changed in this last year? - I have become quieter. The excitement of sharing anything and everything with him...that is gone. The chatterbox has become quieter. A long trip away with so much seen and experienced - and the mind kept telling me that once I reach home, I won't have Manosh to share it with. - I miss speaking in Bangla. Ma would always talk about how much I love the language and how I would miss speaking it if I married a  'non Bengali'  - and I would dismiss it all. Sheer coincidence then that we fell in love and loved speaking in Bangla with each other. So many words, phrases and emotions in a language that don't come through ...

the road a dumpster???

Driving along on a pleasant evening Looking out at an empty road A rare sight, not often seen! Out comes flying a bottle into my vision Looking around for a spaceship All I detect is a Lancer! To people in the car I venture to ask The originator of the rubbish And set them to task Unrepentant, incomprehensible looks I get greeted with! Utter silence I am left with! Then I watch another scenario unfold! The driver’s side window Comes swooshing down An apology is what I am all set for! I see rubbish flying out again The road before…the divider then!